Everything you need to know to apply today
Are you using futures and foresight methods to make the world a better place? Do you want to be part of a global network of young foresight practitioners with a shared purpose? Do you need support to amplify your positive impact in the world?
If you replied yes to these questions, then you should apply to the NGFP Fellowship. Come join a young cohort of changemakers from around the world in re-imagining and co-creating equitable and inclusive futures! Applications are now open!
To apply to join the Fellowship you’ll need to complete an online form which includes sharing a short 2-4 minute video and answering 7 questions about you, your experience, and your foresight project idea. Our community of judges will then review applications and make decisions around this year’s cohort which will be announced in Autumn 2023.
The closing date for submissions is 23:59 GMT+1 on 2 June 2023.
Would you like to increase the chances of success to your Fellowship application? Join our live Q&As where you can ask questions and gain information and insight from previous fellows, judges and the NGFP team. Find out more and sign up here.
- The fellowship is an opportunity for young professionals to have more support as they begin to explore the futures and foresight field. We know that being a futurist can be a lonely place, and a sort of practice that particularly young people do on the side of their daily jobs, and usually for free. The fellowship is a way to provide the next generation of future and foresight enthusiasts with a platform to connect with like-minded people from around the world, receive mentorship and foresight capability building, participate in regional and sector-specific hubs, and access funding to develop their foresight projects. Fellows also have the opportunity to participate in highly relevant events in the futures and foresight field, and to be connected with today’s decision-makers at the highest levels. See the fellowship journey in detail
- Anyone between 18 and 35 years old, as well as those who are older, but have less than 5 years of experience using foresight. We are particularly enthusiastic about applications from those living in the Global South, and those working on the world’s most complex issues, or Global Challenges, as we like to call them. Every year, we make sure we have at least two fellows under 25 years old. In 2023, we will reserve one spot within our cohort to a fellow from the Balkans. This is our way to honour the memory of a great SOIF’s colleague, Sophie Middlemiss, who passed away in 2021 and were passionate about the region.Get inspired by the profiles of NGFP fellows from previous years
- If you are between 12-17 years old but would like to get involved, you can apply to the Young Voices Award.Find out more
- We ask for applicants to be between the ages of 18-35 OR have less than five years foresight experience, as we want to champion and promote youth voices and those who are newer to the foresight space. It’s one of the values of NGFP to ensure younger voices are represented in decision-making spaces and to elevate and amplify youth perspective, in a world saturated by older, less diverse opinions. That’s why we strive to protect the space the Fellowship creates for newer, emerging practitioners.
- At the beginning of the journey, each fellow receives a USD 1,000 prize to develop and accelerate their project. If a fellow’s application is considered outstanding by our judges (identifiable by the badge “judges choice”), the grant is doubled. By the end of their one-year journey, all fellows have the chance to run for the Fellowship Main Prize, which consists of a more substantial grant (at least USD 10,000) and acknowledges those who made the most of their journey.
- You must have a project or idea with a clear theory of change of how you will use futures and foresight methods to create better alternative futures. You should be able to demonstrate how you will engage your community in your project and explain how insights of the future will help you create positive change in your local, regional, or global community today. We are very interested in knowing why being part of the NGFP Network is important for you and the development of your project. And if you are completely new to foresight, we would like to hear more about what has motivated you to start your project.Start your application today!
- Yes, we welcome applications from any area of expertise or sector, as long as they use futures and foresight approaches to address relevant issues and create positive transformation. However, we believe that certain global issues require urgent attention and close collaboration across sectors and generations to be properly addressed. These are what we call “Global Challenges” and we will prioritise applications working on one of these areas. For 2023, we have identified seven complex Global Challenges: Climate and Just Transitions, Nuclear Security, Democracy & Governance, Intergenerational Fairness, Emerging Technologies, Indigenous and other Futures Methods from Around the World and Peacebuilding. In future years, it is possible that some of these Global Challenges will remain a priority, others might be deprioritized, and new ones can be added, depending on the signals we are identifying and the choices of our members.Understand all about the Global Challenges
- Our judges are a diverse and international group of foresight experts, activists, innovators and ambassadors. They are invited to join the judging panel due to their deep commitment to our values and their desire to support the next generation to become an active participant in shaping the future. Judges are responsible for assessing the Fellowship applications, evaluating projects and selecting those who will participate in our fellowship journey. Many of our judges are so passionate about NGFP that they end up becoming mentors to our fellows. See judges’ profiles from previous years
- If your application does not make it to the final selection of this highly competitive process, it means that you are not selected to participate in our Fellowship journey this year. However, this is far from being the end of your story with us. If your application is considered high-quality, is future-focused, and demonstrates alignment with our vision of a better, fairer, and more equitable world, you can still become a member of our NGFP Network. As a member of one of the largest global networks of next generation foresight practitioners in the world, you will have access to a variety of opportunities! And, of course, you can always apply again in the future to become a fellow – many of our fellows become so after a year in the network.See the opportunities you can access as an NGFP member
Here are the next milestones for you:
- 16 March 2023Applications open
- 2 June 2023Applications close
- July – August 2023Judging and selection process
- Autumn 2023Fellows announced