THE FELLOWSHIP JOURNEY
The Fellowship Journey
We know that being a futurist can at times be a lonely place. Most of us who are passionate about futures and foresight only get to practise it as a side project, particularly in the early years. As a consequence, the futures and foresight field is still very much dominated by people from older generations and more privileged communities.
Our NGFP Fellowship journey is designed to help change the status quo and democratise the futures and foresight field with diverse perspectives from younger generations living in under-represented geographies and communities. We want to support them to access the resources they need to participate meaningfully in re-imagining and shaping better, fairer, and more equitable futures for their communities and the world.
The Fellowship is a way to provide the next generation of future and foresight enthusiasts with a platform to connect with like-minded people from around the world, receive mentorship and foresight capacity building, and access small grants to develop their foresight projects. We also like to amplify their voices and ideas by opening up spaces for them in highly relevant global events, and making connections between them and current decision-makers at the highest levels.
Here is what the one-year Fellowship journey looks like:
- Welcome!The new cohort of fellows is announced and their profiles and projects become highly visible in social media. Some of them are profiled by our media partners.
- Meet the fellowsFellows participate in a virtual gathering, where they get to know their peers and the NGFP team that will support them throughout their journey.
- Meet your mentorFellows are matched with mentors, who they will meet on a regular basis and receive guidance to strengthen and implement their projects.
- Get your project fundedEach fellow receives a minimum of USD 1,000 prize to develop and accelerate their project.
- Learn more about foresightTake part in an 8-week virtual foresight capacity building training.
- Join the NGFP Community PlatformFellows are invited to join an online platform to connect with their peers, fellows from previous years and other network members, as well as access information on further opportunities such as funding, consultancy or job openings and exposure to different stakeholders to enhance their foresight work.
- Attend relevant eventsMonthly Connects, global events, and alumni meetings are organised to enhance connection and collaborations.
- Run for the big prize!By the end of their one-year journey, fellows have the chance to run for a $10,000 prize, which acknowledges those who made the most of their journey.
Although the fellowship journey lasts a year, our fellows from previous years’ cohorts are still part of our NGFP network and there is no expiry date for their membership. They are welcome to keep connected to us for as long as they wish to. In fact, many of our alumni remain very close to us and have supported new cohorts of fellows in a more informal capacity or become judges and mentors in following years.
Our commitment is that our NGFP fellows:
- Feel supported as leaders and innovators to drive foresight practice in their communities
- Connect with other NGFP fellows, members, and external partners and accelerate their personal and professional growth
- Gain skills and confidence to take on local, regional, and global challenges with innovative foresight practices
- Raise their personal and professional profiles in foresight both locally and internationally
- Lead conversation in the media and generate interest in strategic foresight among peers, students, policymakers and activists
Meet Our Fellows
Find out more about past and current NGFP fellows.